Jul 28, 2022
Welcome back! Small Axe Community! Today we are joined by John
John is a real estate entrepreneur, who has partnered with busy
professionals to invest in over $100 million worth of
John also consults active multifamily investors to help them
start or grow their businesses. He hosts the Multifamily Insights
podcast (formerly Target Market Insights) and is the co-creator of
the Midwest Real Estate Networking Summit.
Prior to becoming a full-time investor, John worked in corporate
America, overseeing marketing campaigns for General Motors, Nike,
and Coors Light.
[00:00 - 07:16] Opening Segment
- John Casmon is a real estate entrepreneur and host of the
Multi-family insights podcast
- John went through multiple rounds of layoffs during his time at
- Realizing that he can’t rely on his luck for having a job he
was inspired to start investing in multifamily properties.
- John began buying multifamily properties in Chicago and
eventually partnered with other investors to acquire over $100
million worth of apartments.
- John's story is relevant to many listeners because many people
face the fear of not having a job or being able to provide for
their families in the future.
[07:17 - 14:04] How to Start a Real Estate Side Hustle
and Still Make a Living
- John shares that part of it was timing
- in 2012, Coming off from an economic downturn and we're really
starting to hit the uprise or the upswing of the market.
- They bought a two-unit property, spending
almost $50,000 in renovations
- went to refinancing, and h created over a
hundred thousand dollars of equity.
- They got a line of credit for a hundred
thousand dollars and wiped out their PMI on that existing
- John believes that multifamily is a good investment because it
is resilient to changes in the economy, people always need a place
to live, and multifamily has demonstrated itself to be
- Quick Ad: Nico Invites you to join Jake’s
& Gino’s Multifamily Mastery 5 in Florida this coming November
2022 If you’re joining, Nico Salgado offers early bird pricing for
you! All you have to do is connect and message him through his
Instagram, Facebook, and LinkedIn or email him directly at
firstname.lastname@example.org to get the code you can use to avail
[21:56 - 28:38] Building a Successful Multifamily Brand
Starts with Education
- Multifamily investors talk about interest rates from the
standpoint of the loans they are getting
- John also adds that investors don't talk enough about how those
rates affect single-family buyers.
- There are people who can't afford a $400,000 home six months
ago or a year ago, but now for the same amount of money they can
only get it $300,000 home, and renting is the alternative.
- John warns that there are markets that have more volatility
than others, and multifamily investors need to monitor those
[28:39 - 34:56] How to Make Money Syndicating Your
- Who are you helping and what do they need from you?
- You have to figure out what they need from you in order to help
- You have to be honest with yourself about who you want to be
and what your values are.
- It would help if you focused on what other people are gonna say
about you when you're not in the room.
- You can help other families by giving them more time, freedom,
[34:57 - 36:16] Closing Segment
LEAVE A REVIEW + help someone who wants to
explode their business growth by sharing this episode.
I believe that you only need a small axe to build a lasting
empire. Let’s start building yours!
To know more about me and all the real estate opportunities you
can find, you can connect with me on LinkedIn, Instagram, and Facebook, or check out my website https://smallaxecommunities.com/ and book a
call with me.
“Who are you helping? You have to figure out, What do they
need from you? What do they need to understand? And how can you
convey those messages to them? So that at the end of the day, they
are in a better place from engaging with you and learning from you
than they were before, engaging with your content.” - John